Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 28: If You Really Wanna Have Something - Vegan or Not - Have It! This is About The Freedom To Be Able To Choose, Not Restrictions

Today's vegan bites include:
1.) 12oz. Soy latte
2.) Tofu wrap at the Haiilemaile General Store)
3.) Mojito (2)
4.) Hawaiian shaved ice -melona, pineapple, watermelon (without the vanilla ice-cream)
5.) Hummus and eggplant dip and a french-pressed espresso
6.) Sake flight
7.) Edamame, miso stew, kula roll, avocado/cucumber roll and a few sips of beer

(* No scale to weigh or "body fat percent" myself)



One day at a time. I'm in it for the long run. It's not about the 30 day pledge. The pledge is just a fun little game. Not partaking in animal cruelty and animal suffering and animal pain in ways that I know how to not--that's a way of living and that's how I want to live every single day I am blessed to be on this planet.

Today wasn't about me not "giving in." The fact that I didn't eat the fish, that I didn't eat the nigiri or carpaccio isn't a "yay!" thing. It isn't "better" than me eating the fish, me having the sushi, me chowing down on the carpaccio. At least, not the way I see it.

Let's be honest...if I had the sushi, yes, I would be sad. Yes, I would see myself as having "failed." But when I take a step back, I see those feelings of "having failed" and those judgements as my mind reducing a beautiful, organic, personal, evolutionary process into a meaningless set of rules & "rights and wrongs," and ultimately, to an absolute--you are or you aren't and nothing else can be because you're only either one or the other. I'm not looking to fit a definition; I'm looking to live a life that honors the things that matter to me.

So, I'm not necessarily "celebrating" that I didn't have seafood tonight and yet, I am thankful to see that my personal choices, in this instance, had more of a say on how my evening went than my cravings.

No comments:

Post a Comment